I was reading threads at one of my favourite sites today, and one of the regulars was talking about how she found a teen diary site quite frightening.
I'm not writing about teen music, mary-kate and ashley, or which boy is cuter in math class. I'm talking about the anorexia (ana) sites.
I throughly depressed myself today in looking at sites where girls are starving themselves. They have pictures - skeleton style ribs, jutting hipbones, angular necks...
1. If you aren't thin you aren't attractive.
2. Being thin is more important than being healthy.
3. You must buy clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, starve yourself, do anything to make yourself look thinner.
4. Thou shalt not eat without feeling guilty.
5. Thou shall not eat fattening food without punishing oneself afterwards.
6. Thou shall count calories and restrict intake accordingly.
7. What the scale says is the most important thing.
8. Losing weight is good - gaining weight is bad.
9. You can never be too thin.
10.Being thin and not eating are signs of true will power and success.
So because if I take this seriously I may start crying and not have the ability to stop, I'd like to take this opportunity to piss-take the Ana Commandments...
Commandments of a Fat Girl Dieting.
1. You are beautiful. Yes you. We're all different - and there's a reason they make clothes in all sizes.
2. Being healthy is far more important than how much you weigh.
3. Treat yourself right - so you're XX kilos/pounds overweight? Don't hide - get your hair done, get your nails done, buy sexy lingerie (they do make it in our sizes) and be confident.
4, 5 and 6. You feel like pizza? Great - have two slices and enjoy them - don't scarf a whole one then feel guilty for the next two weeks. Eat whatever you want - BUT IN MODERATION aka Thou shall eat sensibly.
7. How you feel is the most important thing.
8. When you feel comfortable - stop dieting. Maintain.
9. You can eat what you want and lose weight. (it's the moderation thing people).
10. Eating and maintaing the right weight for your height and build are the signs of true will power and success.
Curves are sexy and soft. You are woman.
Countdown to weigh in: 7 days